Charter Township of Monitor

Sue Pike


Treasurer's Office

Mon-Wed: 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm

Thurs 9am-12pm and 1pm-4pm


Sue K. Pike


Josie Hill

Deputy Treasurer

Unpaid Property Taxes?

Please note if you have not paid your real property taxes, as of March 1st , they are delinquent and must be paid at to the Bay County Treasurer, 515 Center Ave # 103, Bay City, MI 48708. Please contact (989) 895-4285 for correct amount as there are additional fees and interest due. Payments for Personal Property and BLL (Building on Leased Land) will still be accepted at our offices.

Pay Taxes Online

Can I pay my Taxes with a Credit Card?

Yes, Credit/debit cards can be used to pay taxes online or over the phone.  There is a processing fee charged by our payment processor.  The fee is 3.25% of the transaction. Minimum amount for payments must be $10.00 and Maximum is $125,000.00.  You can also authorize a debit directly from your bank account.  Simply click on Department/Treasurer/Pay taxes online/enter your address or parcel ID and follow the prompts below your property ID.  To pay over the phone, please call 1-855-786-5317 and follow the phone prompts.  Please remember payments must be received by due date so allow yourself 3-5 business days for credit card transactions to process to avoid late fees.

Click here to pay your taxes online.

Treasurer - SUE PIKE

Deputy - Josie Hill

The Treasurer`s office performs tax collection and financial management for Monitor Township and handles all investments of Township funds.  The office of the Township Treasurer collects all Township, County, State Education, Special Education, College and School taxes on real estate and personal property, as well as collecting water and sewer tap-in fees and issuing Dog and Cat Licenses.

Citizens can call or come into the Treasurer`s Office where a knowledgeable staff member will assist them with questions or problems they may have.  Our busiest months are July, September, December, and February when approximately 10,000 homeowners receive and pay their tax bills for the State Education Tax, County General Operating and the School Operating in the summer and the Township, County, Special Education, Community College and special Assessments in the winter.  At this time also, approximately 500 businesses receive personal property tax bills.

The Treasurer`s office provides a place where citizens can conveniently pay the above-mentioned fees.  We are continually striving to ensure timely and accurate billing and collection of taxes, fees and receipt of all payments to the Township.  These funds are then invested in a prudent manner governed by State Law and the Township Investment Policy.  Our goal is to perform these tasks in an efficient and cost effective manner.

Property Tax Bills


You can pay your taxes at the Township Office with Check, Cash, or Money Order

You can drop off your Check or Money Order (No Cash) in our Dropbox, next to our mailbox

You can pay with Credit Card (a 3rd Party biller @ 3.25%) or EFT Check ($1.95) “Online Only” @

Our Bank, “1ST STATE BANK” will now accept your property tax payments at any of these 5 locations:

Madison Ave: 601 Madison Ave, Bay City, MI (989) 332-7500

Wilder Rd: 3907 Wilder Rd, Bay City, MI (989) 439-7500

Fashion Square: 4800 Fashion Square Blvd, Saginaw, MI (989) 799-7500

State Street: 5424 State St, Saginaw, MI (989) 596-7500

Midland: 400 Ashman St, Midland, MI (989) 492-7500

If you have any questions, please call us at (989) 684-7203, press 1 

or email

Summer taxes are payable July 1 through September 14 (or the next business day if due date falls on the weekend or a holiday) without interest.  Beginning September 15 and each month thereafter, 1% interest will be added.  On February 15,  4 % will be added–a 3% penalty and 1% interest.

Winter taxes are payable December 1 through February 14 (or the next business day if due date falls on the weekend or a holiday) without interest.  Beginning February 15, 4% is added–a 3% penalty plus 1% interest.  Beginning March 1 all unpaid taxes are payable to the Bay County Treasurer at 515 Center Ave, Bay City, Mi 48708.  Their phone number is 989-895-4285.

Personal property tax, which includes equipment owned by a business, is payable at the Township Office at all times.

If you have had a change of mailing address or go south for the winter, make sure that you have changed your address with the Monitor Township Assessor. All changes of address must be done through our Township Assessor. This is especially important for properties with Board of Review changes or State Denials. Without this change of address you may fail to receive your tax bill resulting in late fees.

Use Our Drop Box!

The Drop Box is located in the parking lot on the south side just to the right of the Stop sign. Our Drop Box is checked twice daily during Tax Season so feel free to drop your tax payment in. Please include checks only-NO cash! If you would like a receipt mailed to you, please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope. The top of your tax bill is your receipt. We would be happy to stamp it “Paid” for you if you bring it in. Those wishing an additional copy of their tax receipt will be charged $.50 per page.

Credit Card Policy

Debit and credit cards are now accepted for payment of taxes.  Click here to pay online. Payments can also be made by cash, check, or money order at Monitor Township offices.

Dog and Cat Licenses

Please bring your rabies certificate and spay/neuter certificate with you as well as your renewal form, if you have one.

 1 year3 yearDelinquentDelinquent
   1 year3 year

If you receive a renewal form in the mail, you will find instructions on the back for mailing in your form and payment as well.  Delinquent fee will be enforced starting January 1, 2024.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Summer Taxes are payable July 1 through September 14 (or the next business day if due date falls on the weekend or a holiday)

Winter Taxes payable due December 1 through February 14 (or the next business day if due date falls on the weekend or a holiday)

Please note:  The Treasurer`s Office handles questions regarding the billing and collection of property taxes.  Specific questions regarding property assessments and values should be referred to the Township Assessing Department.

When can I expect to receive a bill and when is it due?
The summer tax bills are mailed the first week of July and are due without penalty by September 14 unless it falls on a weekend in which case the due date is the next business day.  The winter tax bills are mailed the first week of December and are due without penalty until the following February 14 unless it falls on a weekend in which case the due date is the next business day.  The due date will always be clearly indicated on your tax bill.

I didn`t receive a bill, what should I do?
Call our office immediately (989) 684-7203.  We will send you a duplicate bill.  Please note, it is the taxpayer`s responsibility to pay the taxes by the due date regardless of whether a bill was received or not.

How do I change the mailing address?
The Township Assessor maintains mailing addresses.  For information on what is required to change an address contact the Township Assessor at (989) 684-7203

I have an escrow account and I changed Mortgage Companies, what should I do?
Call our office immediately (989) 684-7203.  We need the name and address of your mortgage company so we can update our records.  NOTE:  If you pay off your mortgage and no longer have an escrow account, please call our office so we can update our records.

What is the difference between real and personal property taxes?
Real property is any property such as land, house, commercial, industrial building, or anything attached to it.  It is tangible.  Real property taxes are assessed on commercial/ industrial or residential property.

Personal property is property that is owned by a business whether it be commercial or industrial.  An example of this could be equipment located within a business such as computers, desks, machinery.  See MCL 211.2

What is a Principal Residence Exemption and how do I know I have one?
A Principal Residence Exemption entitles the owner of real property an exemption from the 18*mills of school operating tax for the percentage of taxable value used as a primary residence.  The Principal Residence Exemption must be claimed on a form approved by the Michigan Department of Treasury.  The Principal Residence Exemption for your property will be included on your assessment notice expressed as a percentage.  The Principal Residence Exemption percentage will also be displayed on your summer and winter tax bill.  A Principal Residence Exemption of 100% means your property is exempted from 100% of school operating taxes.  Voted school bonded debt millages are NOT exempted.

*Or less subject to Headlee Amendment roll back

Are there any tax abatements available?
Owners of industrial property may be eligible for an Industrial Facilities Tax.  There are two types of IFT`s, new and replacement.  New projects are taxed at the normal rate while replacement projects are taxed at the full rate but the taxable value is frozen.  For more information on Industrial Facilities Tax, please contact the Township Clerk at (989) 684-7203.

Can Tax Payments Be Deferred?
Summer taxes may be deferred until February 14 without interest penalty if your total household income was less than $40,000 and you meet one of the following requirements:

On a Principal Residence

  • 62 years of age or older
  • Paraplegic, Quadriplegic
  • Eligible Serviceperson, Eligible Veteran, Eligible Widow or Widower
  • Blind Person
  • Totally and Permanently Disabled

On Agricultural Real Property:

  • If the gross receipts of agricultural or horticultural operations in the previous year (or the average gross receipts for such operations in the previous three years) is not less than my household income for the preceding calendar year.

You may file for deferral of Summer taxes until September 15 at the Monitor Township Treasurer`s office. You must apply for deferment every year.

Should you have any questions or comments, please contact us!